Photography Challenge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame

4 posters

Go down

February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Empty February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame

Post by travis_cooper Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:55 pm

Okay, here is your next assignment, fill the frame. Basically this can be a shot of anything, but make sure it fills up the frame, meaning little to no background will be showing in the shot. Get creative and lets see those composition skills come out, hopefully we will get a good variety of shots from this one, I'm excited to see what you all do. As usual the challenge rules can be found here. Remember you can submit your shots anytime between now and next Monday at noon, mountain standard time. Your picture will be hidden along with the other submissions until that time. If you are having trouble uploading your shot you can read the tutorial on how to do it here.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Admin

Male Number of posts : 566
Challenge Participation :
February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Left_bar_bleue24 / 10024 / 100February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Right_bar_bleue

Ribbons :
blue red yellow
Registration date : 2008-01-11

http://photographytutorial101.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Empty Re: February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame

Post by Jenluvs2scrap Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:02 pm

I was wondering if we could put in the challenge rules or guidelines or whatever for folks to include the EXIF data on their shots. That way we can better critique the shots if we know the F stop, shutter speed, etc. I think it would be helpful especially for the newer photographers in the group. Even if some are using a P&S they could develop a feel for different settings, etc.

Jenluvs2scrap
Snap Shot

Female Number of posts : 57
February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Right_bar_bleue

Ribbons :
Photobucket
Registration date : 2008-01-30

http://www.jdmphotography.smugmug.com

Back to top Go down

February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Empty Re: February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame

Post by travis_cooper Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:06 pm

Jenluvs2scrap wrote:I was wondering if we could put in the challenge rules or guidelines or whatever for folks to include the EXIF data on their shots. That way we can better critique the shots if we know the F stop, shutter speed, etc. I think it would be helpful especially for the newer photographers in the group. Even if some are using a P&S they could develop a feel for different settings, etc.

It kind of is in the rules, I just need to enforce it better. One of the rules is to take the picture during the challenge week, the only way for me to check that is in the EXIF data, so because of that rule all the shots should have the EXIF data. I was actually thinking about that when I saw the few that came in without data. I guess I have just been trusting that the shots have been taken during the period since I know, and trust, the members who have signed up so far. I guess this week we can work on enforcing that. I think the people who are losing the EXIF data are the ones using the resize for web option in PS. I have heard that as the resizing happens all the EXIF data gets stripped too, but I'm not sure. I know my sister and brother-in-law have a point and shoot and its possible their camera doesn't even record EXIF data, but it could also be PS stripping it out as they resize. I will try to address this better.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Admin

February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Left_bar_bleue24 / 10024 / 100February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Right_bar_bleue

Ribbons :
blue red yellow

Back to top Go down

Post by Panache Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:45 pm

I enjoyed this challenge. I actually managed to get several shots, and it was really hard to choose which one to submit. I kept wavering between three choices!

I'd like to know what steps you take to resize your photo to meet the posting guidelines. I don't know why I have such a problem! I either end up with a file too big, or one way too small. [Travis, I hope the last submission was okay confused ] I'm used to doing my personal workflow for my own needs, but for some reason this forum's criteria confuse me!!

I use PS7, so if you have a simple workflow for resizing for this forum, I'd love to see it!

Debb

flower
Panache
Panache
Little Click

Female Number of posts : 23
February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Right_bar_bleue

Ribbons :
Photobucket

http://www.myownkarma.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by travis_cooper Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 pm

When I resize for this forum, and for the web in general, I drop my longest edge to 640 pixels, while keeping the ratio locked, so the shorter edge drops to keep the same width to height ratio. Then I drop the ppi to 72 and save as a jpg. I also edit in adobeRGB color space, so I convert to sRGB color space because that is what browsers typically use. When I save to jpg I usually use medium for the quality. Doing this I have no problems staying under the 120KB size limit. In fact it is usually under 80KB. HTH.
travis_cooper
travis_cooper
Admin

Ribbons :
blue red yellow

Back to top Go down

Post by FarrahJ Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:42 pm

I'd like to use this photo...but since it was taken last week...I'm going to come up with something else =) February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Tear
FarrahJ
FarrahJ
Snap Shot

Number of posts : 98
February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100February 11th, 2008 Weekly Challenge - Fill the Frame Right_bar_bleue

Ribbons :
blue red yellow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down